Pub. date: 9/4/07, Updated: 7/2/15
What’s in This Special Report?
This 100-page seminar handout is an expanded and updated version of Chapter 6 of Natalie Choate’s book Life and Death Planning for Retirement Benefits. It covers almost all aspects of naming a trust as beneficiary of a retirement plan, including:
- Trust accounting for retirement benefits: How does the trustee know whether a retirement plan distribution received by the trust is “income” or “principal” for trust accounting purposes?
- Income tax treatment of retirement benefits paid to a trust, or distributed out of a trust; how “income in respect of a decedent” interacts with “distributable net income.”
- How and when to transfer a retirement plan out of a trust, to the trust beneficiaries.
- How to make sure benefits payable to a trust qualify for the federal estate tax marital deduction.
- Most importantly, how to make sure that the trust qualifies as a “see-through trust” under the IRS’s “minimum distribution trust rules,” why such qualification matters, and when it does NOT matter.
The Report also includes the related forms from Appendix B of Life and Death Planning for Retirement Benefits, such as recommended trust clauses and a letter transferring an IRA out of a trust; a summary of the minimum distribution rules; and other excerpts from other parts of Life and Death Planning for Retirement Benefits (the “IRD” section of Chapter 4, the marital deduction section of Chapter 3) necessary to make this Special Report a COMPLETE exposition of the subject of retirement benefits payable to a trust.
The only subjects NOT covered in this Special Report are charitable trusts and the charitable deduction, and qualified domestic trusts for the noncitizen spouse. For those subjects see Special Report: Charitable Giving with Retirement Benefits and Special Report: Retirement Benefits and the Marital Deduction (Including Planning for the Noncitizen Spouse) instead.
Who Needs This Special Report?
You need this Special Report if you are interested in learning about the subjects listed above but you do not want to buy or subscribe to the whole book Life and Death Planning for Retirement Benefits.
Do NOT buy this Special Report if:
- If you will soon attend a Natalie Choate seminar that includes “Making Retirement Benefits Payable to Trusts” as one of the topics. You will receive it free at the seminar.
- If you already own the print edition of Life and Death Planning for Retirement Benefits (6th 2006), then you do NOT need to buy this downloadable Special Report, because all the material in this Special Report is already included in your book and in the free Update to the book.
- If you are a subscriber to the electronic version of Life and Death Planning for Retirement Benefits (retirementbenefitsplanning.com) then you do NOT need to buy this downloadable Special Report, because all the material in this Special Report is already included in your subscription.
Preview “Making Retirement Benefits Payable to Trusts”
Download free sample pages (pdf)